Monday, August 11, 2014

Putting the Ward in Singles (with Added Commentary)

How Firm a Foundation, Hymn #85, verse 3 - "Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed..."

I went to a singles ward for the first time in more than two years yesterday.
It was a completely bizarre experience. There were, like, couples everywhere, hugging' and kissin' and back-rubbin' up and down and all the way through the promised land. The wife of a newly-called member of the bishopric said it was 'sexy' to keep covenants right over the pulpit, prompting outrageous - and, in some cases, absolutely horrified - laughter. I didn't really know what to think, honestly, but I felt a little out of place at times, like a fish who left the sea, got stuck in an aquarium, and then escaped through a dentist's office.


All references aside, the experience was good in that it gave me a sneak peek of what I have to look forward to in a few weeks and that I'm not completely unfamiliar with the game. Indeed, I was heavily reminded that being single is not really a lonely time. Really, the Lord is always there to help you out and give you guidance. When you're gunning for eternity, someone is reaching for you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment