Sunday, August 24, 2014

Carry Me

John 21:18 - "... but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldst not."

Being an RA is a lot of work. I've been doing training all week to prepare me for everything from organizing floor meetings to helping facilitate the improvement of damaged relationships to figuring out how to decorate a corkboard. I have been introduced to a myriad of faces, I have found myself jarringly thrown into a world where being romantically interested in someone is perfectly acceptable, I have been inundated with tasks and responsibilities, and I have just been feeling overwhelmed.
My moy droog (Google claims this is how you say friend in Russian) and I were walking down right before my check-in shift started yesterday. I, quite honestly, told him that while I was looking forward to the overall experience of being an RA for the upcoming year, I really wasn't sure I would want to do it again. I, of course, recognized I had a whole year ahead of me to make such a decision, but I was just feeling overwhelmed. I found myself asking, Why am I even here?


Well, then my shift started. I was the highly uncoveted designated 'rover,' meaning that I was to run around Helaman Halls (perhaps not literally, but I did so anyway to make up for my lack of exercise in the morning) and solve the new students' crises wherever and whenever they occurred. I unlocked doors, answered questions, talked about fire safety, gave keys, met residents, made new friends, and just played the role of happy helper all through the day.
I recognized, during the day, that this job will be just what I need for this year.
All training aside, I recognized that my role here is to serve. I saw many parallels between my service yesterday and the service I gave on my mission, and relished the opportunity to lift a heavy suitcase here, answer someone's call there, help another feel comfortable in their new environment. I was glad I was able to say, "If you need anything, I'm here," and mean it. What started as a responsibility I didn't really want turned into an opportunity to share a smile all around the complex. For the first time, I thought that, perhaps, God didn't just aid me in my interview so he could bless me with something I personally wanted for myself. After today, my new hypothesis is that I got the job because God knew this was a position I not only needed for my own personal progression, but also so I could share my talents and strengths with others around me. I am more eager for the semester to begin now than ever.

Has there ever been a time when you recognized that God led you somewhere for reasons different than you originally anticipated? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Want to receive news whenever Change and Cherish is updated? Be sure to follow updates by using any of the new tools on the left-hand side of the page! Becoming a follower can get you featured on the site!

No comments:

Post a Comment