Saturday, August 2, 2014

Oh, deer, did I do that?

Doctrine and Covenants 84:62 - "...from all the world unto every creature."

Some days, I just want to spend it doing one thing.
There are just too many options in the world, in my personal opinion. Once upon a time, your entertainment choices included milking Betsy and watching Betsy lick the flies off her face. This meant you were far more productive because it was real easy to get everything you wanted to get done done and still have time for some good ol' nothing. Doing nothing is, of course, a most essential aspect involved in stabilizing your sanity.
Nowadays, however, all we have is stuff to do. Even for someone like me, who has an irregular job and no real responsibilities, I manage to fill every day with unrelated somethings, barely leaving enough for nothing.
Yesterday was a prime example. I decided I needed to buy the books I promised to send to some of my friends in Jamaica. Unfortunately, the bookstore, Deseret Book, was way out in Portland. Thinking I could beat rush hour traffic, I got in the car about 2:00pm.
Traffic was still a nightmare! I cursed under my breath as I made my way through the crowded town, turning a thirty-mile jaunt into an hour-long ordeal. Finally, I purchased the books, printed some photographs, gave up on a few other plans, and started home. I even had to pull over for an ambulance. It was around 7:30 by the time I pulled into my neighborhood.
Some days, I think God just likes to throw us a bone amid our frustration. Even despite all the setbacks I could see, had I not come home exactly when I did, I would have missed out on seeing this guy.


I relished in the opportunity to do nothing by simply watching the majestic creature and snapping some photos. 
No day is ever a total loss. It's easy to forget that sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment