Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Somebody Else's Problem: Trashed Dorm Room


When I try to describe my summer job to people, they usually begin to glaze over. So, instead, I've taken to saying I just 'do everything' in regards to housing.

But, actually, I don't.

One of my responsibilities is to re-prepare the dorm rooms following the departure of one conference yet prior to the next. Now, in my job description, 'preparing' does not actually mean deep cleaning the rooms themselves. I won't go into the details of what I do, but know that a custodial crew takes care of that aforementioned deep cleaning.

So, my crew and I were going room to room, making sure all the relevant tasks were completed in each, while the custodial crew were coming up behind. Now, conference-goers (usually aged 14-18) are notoriously messy. However, one conference room in particular prompted me to shake my head in disbelief.


To be fair, the picture doesn't do the mess justice. My camera was unprepared for the task. 

Know there was trash spread all over, drinks and liquid had been spilled with a severe abandon, and an assortment of food, chiefly pretzels, had been scattered across the floor and mercilessly ground into the carpet underfoot. I did not envy the custodial crew coming up behind me. I knew they usually cleaned surface layers. Now, their entire flow and rhythm would be stymied as they tackled what somebody else should have been responsible enough to take care of themselves.

Somebody Else's Problem. I'm sure that's what those kids were thinking as they threw their food all over the room. Somebody else will clean it. Somebody else will take care of it. 

It is true the custodial crew is getting paid for this mess, but not any extra than they would for any other room. it's also a mess that could have easily been prevented had someone else been more considerate. If every conference-goer acted as carelessly, then the custodial crew would either have to work more hours or hire more staff. I couldn't believe how inconsiderate these kids were.

How many times am I like that, though?

How many people do I pass on the street who need help? How many times do I see a car pulled over with nobody coming over to help? How many times do I pass people who are asking for money on the side of the road? How many times do people ask me for help or time, and I just ignore?

I'm going to make sure not to forget those whose burdens can be lightened through my efforts. I don't want to make them somebody else's problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment