Friday, June 26, 2015

Conviction: Crosswalks and Sheep


I find no personal moral revulsion to crossing a crosswalk when the red hand is attempting to bar my passage. I don't think people who do need to repent or fear losing their soul. 

After all, the crosswalks here on campus certainly are in the most inconvenient spots. The one pictured below is particularly notorious for displaying the Red Hand of No Passage when there are absolutely no cars in sight at all. As it is, many people just simply cross when they want to. I think I saw an officer yell at a guy exactly once for jaywalking there, but that was about it.


A few days ago, I found myself at this particular crosswalk. To my surprise, while many people were gathered on either side, no one was braving the wrath of the scorned Red Hand. 

Now, I usually wait for the Glowing Guide to replace the Red Hand before I cross. I do this for reasons twofold. First, I  want to respect the ideals of my best mate (anyone who ignores the Red Hand activates one of his pet peeves). Second, because I make a lot of minor mistakes in my life, and obeying and honoring the law is one of the few things of which I feel I can gain a perfect mastery without trying too hard.

Anyway, so I joined the group of waiting pedestrians on my side and waited. For a few seconds, it appeared as though our collective patience was going to last.

Then one brother had had it. Shaking his head, he stepped out into the street.

The rest of us stared, shocked. All of a sudden, two more people began to cross. And then three more. And then, eventually, everyone was crossing, professors, freshmen, and everyone in between, gunning for the other side with furtive looks down the streets.

Until, finally, by the time the Glowing Guide appeared before my passage, I was the only one left to cross at the appointed time.

What amused me was the sheep mentality. Everyone had their own reasons for staying on one side or the other, most likely due to wanting to do the right thing. However, the moment one's regard for traffic laws cracked, the rest followed suit.

This experience got me to thinking about all the times I might act that way. If I am with a group, and someone begins something I would normally avoid, would I blindly follow along? After all, they're doing it. How bad could it be?

In the end, the experience gave me reason to strengthen my conviction to do what I believe to be right no matter what. And that, my friends, is how you become powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment