Saturday, June 20, 2015

Guidance: Freshmeat (Men! I meant men!)


Yesterday, I found myself in a strange dimension wherein I was confronted with nothing but walls and walls of key hooks, extending far into the distance everywhere I faced. This, of course, wasn't the perturbing thing. No, the perturbing thing was this annoying blue light shining into my right eye. Where the heck am I? I kept thinking.

Photographic evidence of my claim to an insane journey through time and space.
Then, all at once, I remembered I wasn't in an alternate universe at all, but, instead, working a shift at a dormitory helping to orient brand-spanking-new college freshmen.

I get those two mixed up all the time!

That blue light was just horribly filtered sunlight! Silly phone camera.
As I watched these numerous freshmen come in with their luggage-laden families, I was heavily reminded of my own experiences in coming out to school for the first time. 

Before I moved out to Utah, I was living in North Carolina. My best mate was also coming out for school, and he wanted to bring his car along. So, he opted to drive across the nation. I, of course, thought it would be much smarter to take a plane.

"Saves money, son," my dad said as he stuffed me into the passenger seat of my friend's car.* "Builds character."

Photographic evidence of my dad physically forcing me into my friend's car against my will.
So across the nation we two amigos coasted, enjoying company, scenery, and rockin' jams for what was supposed to be three days.

"Goodness." I stared into the smoking remains of the engine block. "This will be great to mention in a blog post about four years from now, don't you think?"

My friend shot me a withering glance. "What are you talking about?"

So, it turned out to be four days. But, in the end, we made it! Well, actually, my friend wanted to get off to his place, so he just drove me up to my dorm, kicked me out, said, "Good luck!" and drove off.*

So, my very first time living alone was forayed, well, completely on my own. I had to find my own place, get my own key, find my own university identification, and get a job ... all on my own. I was rather grateful for the experience, because it built my confidence and empowered me.

The downside to that experience is that it gave me a superiority complex. I now snicker at the kids who walked in with their families. Noobs.

However, in all honesty, our life here on earth is much like heading off to college for the first time. After learning for a time in the presence of our heavenly parents, we were sent off, by ourselves, to brave earth and all that it had to offer. Of course, we weren't really alone. God is still watching us, every day, answering our prayers, nudging us in the right direction, and lending us a hand when we need it.

Maybe I should cut those freshmen some slack.

Love you guys! See you tomorrow!


*If you ask him his account of the story, he will deny this ever happened. I can't** confirm who is more correct. Or won't confirm. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment