Friday, June 12, 2015

Moderation: D n' D (with Breaking News)



As you may have gathered from my previous posts, I like playing the table-top role playing game Dungeons and Dragons, or at least very similar games. I liked playing so much, at the end of last semester, I ended up participating in three different game sessions, each requiring a commitment of at least three hours a week.

I stopped liking D n' D.

It was too much. It began to feel like a chore. I had to set other things aside to keep those commitments and not let others down. I started to suspect my time could be used more productively. So, when the semester ended, I took a break.

Eventually, I roused myself enough to begin acting as the storyteller for another session here in the Spring. Just once a week, keeping it less than three hours every time. Here's our group, sans me.


I've found my passion once again.

There's nothing wrong with any of the activities we like, but when they are not controlled or exercised in moderation, we can burn out. I certainly did, and it was only when I took a step back and purged myself of all the strain I was feeling about it that I was able to enjoy it again. I know you, too, can begin to again enjoy the things you may have started to resent.

What's something you've gotten burned out on? Be sure to post in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment