Saturday, June 13, 2015

Humility: Meta Post


The post is meta, you see, because I will be talking about the blog itself while blogging.

I recently made a really cool friend who just happens to be really into marketing, particularly through social media. After she became acquainted with my blog, she gave me her honest opinion about the layout I was using.

"It's horrible."

"Hey!" she said. "I never said that!"

Well, no matter what she or I said, my friend started giving me tips about how to optimize the format for greater reader retention and general easiness on the eye.

What a team!
Now, I am a writer. Therefore, I oftentimes need to go head to head against editors and test readers who, in the immortal words of "Weird Al" Yankovich, find my "prose dopey," From minor grammatical errors to full blown plot holes, I am often at the mercy of those who either know more than I, or, at the very least, see things I miss.

So, when someone who knows blogs offered me some free professional help, I took it.

This leads me to two points. First, you may notice the blog's layout, format, and design will be in flux for the next few days. Sorry if this becomes a bother!

Second, in order for me to excel and become stronger, I need to rely on other people. We all have that need, whether we lean on friends, family, countrymen, or even the Savior himself. As we seek to utilize the talents and skills others have to offer, we can improve our own standing in life and in our own individual talents. And one day, we'll have the opportunity to pass our own brand of assistance forward.

How have you been helped in the last week? Be sure to big up your benefactor in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Hello to your new team member!
    I am the beneficiary of a multitude of regular helpers in my life. To all of you knights and angels: consider yourselves "bigged up!"
    Now, may I add my own humble opinions to the changes you are making to your blog? First, I love, love, love the new masthead links (About Me, etc.)! What a great idea! Second, I like the use of symbolism in the masthead, although the sim card leaves me feeling less than warm and fuzzy. Perhaps it's a generational gap? I'd prefer a scrapbook of memories or even a pirate's chest of treasures over a sim card full of binary code any day. Still, the idea of using symbols to represent the blog's focus is fabulous! Now, about the colors... I'm not fond of the combo. They seem louder than the blog and remind me of Ronald McDonald. I would prefer to see something more earthy, like blues and greens, maybe some browns. Blue directs me skyward, suggesting the spiritual nature of the blog. Green suggests growth and renewal, and brown is earthy and authentic.
    In any case, kudos to you both for getting creative and combining your talents to make something great even better!

    ReplyDelete