Friday, October 3, 2014

Perspective (Poem) [with Added Commentary]

1 Nephi 9:6 - "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning ..."

If I were a sparrow
How free would I be?
To fly above the treetops
yet be hunted endlessly?

If I were a sailboat
proud, majestic, tall
I might not see the sun again
if under I did fall.

If I were a great oak tree
for a hundred years or more
axes might drop me in minutes
biting deep into my core

If I were a skyscraper
built to withstand time
an earthquake or a hurricane
could my foundation find

And yet ...

I may be nothing before
the might of God's creations
but while I stand, within my walls,
his children find safe haven

I may fall before a simple tool
and be shredded and refined
but underneath carpenters' hands
my grains are made divine

I may wind up a shipwreck
beneath the churning seas
but while I rise above the storm
my captain I do please

I could be caught and eaten
yet I turn to the foray
and when sunlight rises upon my nest
I give my children another day.

I wrote a commentary about this post on June 18, 2015. Click here to read!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous in sentiment, in craft, and in inspiration. Wow. Well, done.

    ReplyDelete