Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Success: Chopsticks

Mark 2:22 - "And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles."

It's probably been four years since I've used chopsticks, if not longer. My distant memories include about five minutes of frustrated struggling before I finally rage quit and swore to use traditional utensils for the rest of my life.

Well, today, after RA class, we fearless coworkers trooped in to the cafeteria and discovered the place was offering chopsticks alongside their Chinese dish of the day. I was immediately excited, thrilled to challenge myself in some new shape or form. Even though I remembered my vow, I figured chopsticks were more traditional than forks and knives and spoons, anyway, so I grabbed a couple pairs and set to work.

Yes. You CAN eat a burger with chopsticks.
At first, my hand was literally in pain as my fingers fumbled and twisted and dropped the sticks all over the place. However, as time went on, I found the process becoming that much easier. Soon, I was chopsticking like a champ, shoveling even tomato sauce into my mouth without looking down, much like I usually accomplish with forks and spoons or even hands. After I finished my second slice of cheesecake using naught but the two wooden rods, previously encouraged by my fellows, they erupted into cheers.

The last bite. Notice the many empty dishes I demolished in order to achieve my goal.
I was proud of the accomplishment, though not unduly so, mainly because I'd made my day just a little more interesting by pushing myself in ways I don't usually. Sure, I could have eaten my food with a boring old fork and knife, but this way, I created an experience for myself I'll never forget. After all, I'm half tempted now just to mass-order a box of chopsticks and eat with them until I have to relearn how to use a fork and spoon again, because then I'll get to see eating as a brand new experience all over again every six months or so!

So, my challenge today is, take something you've done a million times, and do it in a different way. Brush your teeth upside down. Wear your pants backward. Speak every fourth word in Pig Latin. Give it a try, and tell me what you think! Life isn't meant to be monotonous. Give every moment a new perspective, and your life will be that much more bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment