Friday, October 17, 2014

Seeing as the Lord sees

1 Samuel 16:7 -  "... But the Lord looketh on the heart."

As part of RA class yesterday, we were asked to group up in trios to roleplay disruptive roommates. Two of us played the roommates while the third was the RA, and we were given three different scenarios to consider so each of us could be the RA at least once.

Just like a zone meeting, we probably do roleplays once a class period, and I've apparently gained a reputation for portraying extreme caricatures of the residents I am so assigned. Therefore, I decided that, for at least today, I was going to give my fellow RAs some slack and try to play the residents as realistically as possible.

Even so, while I was the RA, my 'residents' still had problems resolving their concerns in a civil manner.


Of course, despite our bombastic caricatures and the fact we were supposed be practicing resolving the problems as RAs for residents who have gotten so deep in conflict that neither feel they're going to be able to work it out, we didn't do a great job, well, practicing. After we'd acted like the irrational residents we were supposed to be, before the RA really had much time to actually solve the conflict, the two 'residents' would calm down, consider the presented arguments, and resolve the problem themselves. No RA intervention was really necessary. After each roleplay, we three would look at each other for a moment. "Well," one of us would say. "Problem solved, I guess." Then we'd move on to the next scenario.

Beyond the humor of the situation, the experience helped me recognize how easy it is to build misperceptions of people. Each scenario involved a lack of communication between individuals. Had Resident A simply asked Resident B to stop borrowing DVDs without asking for permission, the irate fury Resident A felt could have been easily avoided, offering peace to his mind and the chance to build a friendship. We RAs, as 'residents,' recognized this pretty readily, which is probably why we didn't really need the roleplaying RA in the first place. The love and concern we had for our fellow was greater than our desire to think of 
them in anything but a positive light. 

How many times do I assume the worst of someone? More often then I'd like to admit. I wish I could view more of my own irrationality from the outside like I could with those scenarios. As it is, I can always be more careful with my words, more understanding of the people around me, and, above all, seek to assume the best of their intentions. And, of course, I challenge you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment