Thursday, October 16, 2014

Sandwich Analogy: Pushing through the Bread

1 Nephi 8:24 - "And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward ... and they did press through the mist of darkness ..."

As I've said before, I eat with a lunch group every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We're a curious cast of three core members and a rotating roster of guest stars that add flavor to our unaired TV show of sorts.

We were missing one of the core cast members yesterday, but one of my fellow RAs joined us as the guest star, and we had an awesome conversation about life, the universe, and everything. As we were sitting there, chowing down, my fellow RA mentioned how, when he eats sandwiches from certain fast food establishments, he always just gets bread in the first bite. The sentence rattled around in my mind for a few seconds.

BAM! Blog post idea! Snapped a picture and mentally drafted something together.


This is actually a good post to follow yesterday's, as they're similar, but not completely identical.

Sometimes, when I first make a decision and start on a pathway of my choosing, I feel like I'm biting into a sandwich and just getting bread. I don't immediately reap the fruit of the reason why I started on the pathway--the meat of the matter--and so get discouraged.

However, just because things don't turn out the way I expect immediately doesn't mean I'm taking the wrong path. It would be stupid to stop eating a sandwich just because I didn't get what I expected in the first bite. As we exercise just a little more patience, just one more bite, eventually, we just might find what we're looking for. Of course, sometimes, you just find tomatoes, and then you realize you picked up the wrong sandwich somewhere.

Any other sandwich-based analogies I've left unturned? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment