Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Finding Victory: Test-Taking Failures (with Added Commentary)

Matthew 25:16 - "Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents."

So, I'm not a good test taker.

I may have a very self-deprecating sense of humor, but while most of the insults I throw at myself are primarily tongue-in-cheek, I'm completely serious about tests. I'm just awful at them. I'm probably worse at taking tests than I am at reattaching lost limbs using spaghetti, or imploding internally at will, or moon-walking on the ceiling, or digesting oysters to turn them into pearls, or being a woman, and I'm pretty sure at least one of those things is impossible for me, anyway.

The proof I would present for this claim of mine is that, at least until yesterday, I had never gotten above a seventy-eight at the testing center here at the university I attend. If you threw out the outliers, then I had never gotten above a sixty-nine. However, the plus side to throwing out the outliers was that I'd never gotten below a forty-eight!

But yesterday changed all that. I got an A for my New Testament midterm.


I was simultaneously thrilled and frustrated. Of course I did well on a New Testament test, I grumbled to myself. I like the New Testament. I reasoned my poor test record was, in part, due to the fact that English classes don't have final exams, just papers, and that the record wouldn't be so dismal if English tests were as common as Geography tests.

But then I kicked myself.

God doesn't expect us to be perfect in everything, especially when we're not even perfect in the things we enjoy or are even good at. It's completely all right to be proud of any victory, even the ones you may feel are gift-wrapped because such things come so easily for you. But that's the thing! If you're good at something, it's because God gifted you that particular talent or ability. There is no better way to find an opportunity to give glory to God in those special moments.

So, I don't really know how many people battle the same psyche I do, but hey! Listen! I challenge you to find a victory you had today and thank God for giving you the talent and gifts and strength you needed to find that victory. And then, I challenge you to go have another victory! Get at 'em!

I wrote a commentary about this post on June 25, 2015. Click here to read!

1 comment:

  1. Test taking tips: (Other than studying regularly, of course.) Always write out your notes because you can retain your information better. Do study sessions with classmates. Google docs are useful, too, as long as you help fill them out... I like to study for half and hour and then take a five minute break when I'm preparing for the test. Repeat until you feel like you know your stuff. Snacks and classical music are good for studying along, too. Find a reasonable places you can study (you want a few so that you can have back up plans). I preferred the JFSB computer lab (HRC??) on the first floor and the lab in the Wilk, but to each their own.

    When you take the test, go upstairs into the music room, and sit as far a part from people as possible--preferably next to the windows. I find that one of the reasons why I hated taking tests in the Grant building is because it's incredibly uncomfortable, but once you find your comfort zone in that dumb building, you will hopefully be more relaxed taking tests.

    I also found that going to bed at a reasonable time, and then getting up super early (like 5 am) to write a paper or study for a test was better than staying up all night because there are fewer distractions and you aren't as tired.
    I know these are more specific to me, but once I became an expert at studying for tests, they did help. Hopefully you'll find ways to help you prepare sooner than I did. ; )

    ReplyDelete