Monday, October 27, 2014

Jumpin' the Slump Week

Moroni 6:5 - "And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls."

We hit a serious slump week over here at the campus. Midterms, classes, relationships, projects, professors, TAs, long lines in the cafeteria, gnomes, and everything else that commonly causes stress among college students really took a hammer to everyone's skulls. I was completely surprised by the apparently abrupt decline in morale.

However, as I felt prompted to mention during the Sunday School class I subbed for yesterday, I pointed out just how blessed we all are to have the gospel in our lives. That sentiment, driven into my mind without warning, stuck with me. There are so many people in similar or worse situations than ourselves, but, without the guidance of the Savior, they lack the full heavenly support we take for granted every day. Even in our trials, we are blessed. And it is our job to help those around us find that happiness through our good light.

As it was, going out home teaching in that night became more personal for me than usual. I wasn't just fulfilling a priesthood responsibility; I was trying to lighten any burdens I could. Ironically, yet expectedly, my efforts actually eased the burdens I'd been feeling myself. And though my success was questionable, I still felt as though I'd done my best. That is enough.

The second most attractive home teaching companionship in the ward. My companion would have won, but I lowered our average considerably.


No comments:

Post a Comment