Sunday, October 12, 2014

Balancing Family and Light (with Added Commentary)

"Perhaps the most universal regret dying patients expressed was that they wished they had spent more time with the people they love." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I feel like, in some ways, I'm a total extrovert, and in other ways, I'm the exact opposite. I mean, come on, writers are natural introverts, holing themselves up in their writing rooms to work by themselves with no interruptions for hours on end. At the same time, I have a very blue personality, so I love being around people and getting to know them. I joke with people that I operate on two batteries. When I'm working by myself, it's because I've drained my 'people' battery and need to recharge. When I'm actively engaged in hanging out with family and friends, it's because I've drained my 'solitude' battery and need to recharge.


In that way, my time management is a bit of a struggle. I recognize that spending time and creating memories with my family, both physically and spiritually, is the most noble endeavor I can undertake. The memories I can build in those encounters will be far greater than anything I can bang out on a keyboard. At the same time, I want to be able to glorify the Father in heaven by using my talents to bring others closer to Him.


But that's the challenge everyone faces. I've seen homes torn apart from too much neglect, and I've seen homes torn apart from not enough neglect. A balance is required, but it can be achieved. It is possible.

Today's Sunday, the Sabbath day. I challenge everyone who reads this post to take an hour or so and ponder to yourself ways you've recognized how you're trying to come closer to Heavenly Father. Oftentimes, I think we focus too much on our own shortcomings, today, think of where you're finding success. You deserve it!

I wrote a commentary about this post on July 16, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment