Friday, October 24, 2014

My Car Ride (poem)

Mosiah 4:27 - "... it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize ..."

I speed down the endless road
a thousand miles or more
shifting gears, changing lanes
yet the end is so unsure

What's the point in driving
if the road just never stops?
All I can true expect
is my gas to dry, my wheel to pop

I could get side-swiped by a truck
I could get trapped in muddy muck
My car could flip, and I'd be stuck
I'm dependent upon naught but luck

It seems as though six percent of
my success is in control
The other ninety one and three
Depends on those who also roll

And yet, I don't quit
such thoughts I do forget
And if my 'wisdom' throws a fit
I throw in five and gun it

The mountains I do conquer
The rivers I do cross
The valleys I do navigate
My worries then are tossed

The race is with myself
and not the other drivers
If my failure rests on them
My fault I am a survivor

So everything beyond my grasp
throws everything at me
But I keep my two and ten o'clock
and know when I'm close to beat

So I choose to make things easy
and seek to unwind and ravel
I turn off onto an unworn path
that which has been less-traveled

I admire the sights and the scenery
the trees, the birds, the sun
Then I pull back onto my freeway
Determined I will not be outdone

No comments:

Post a Comment