Thursday, October 2, 2014

Conquering Self-Doubt (with Added Commentary)

2 Timothy 1:7 - "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Man, I tell you, some days, I am just full of crippling self-doubt.


I think that happens to a lot of people, especially whenever we feel like we'll let someone down if we don't live up to the breadth of the expectations we assume they have. I mean, I've felt that way when I've sent novel submissions to publishers, when I've sat down for a test, when I've gone in for a job interview ... heck, even when I'm trying to talk to a pretty lady or on a date with one. Even worse is when you promise you'll help someone, and then realize how great a commitment you've trapped yourself into.


Sometimes, even when I write this blog, I worry I won't be able to properly uplift one of you readers in the way you expect or need. I've seen other creators, artists and writers and members of the lot, suffer the same kind of self-doubt until it becomes crippling, and they lose their drive and motivation and sink back into anonymity, never to rise above their oceans, never able to bless others in the way they once had because they expected too much of themselves.

Self doubt is scary, man.

Which is why you really shouldn't let it overcome you!

God didn't send you here, into the situations you're in right now, to fail! So get out there and risk something, be it your heart, your time, or even a dollar from your wallet. Try something you're scared of because of your own weaknesses. We all have them, but that doesn't mean God doesn't love us any less. So, my challenge today is: get out there and take on something you fear! Seriously, exit out of this browser RIGHT NOW.

If you're still reading this sentence, I am very disappointed in you. ;)

I wrote a commentary about this post on June 11, 2015. Click here to read!

1 comment:

  1. i was still reading the sentence and you are right self doubt is very scary. Self doubt chews you up and spits you out like bad tasting candy

    ReplyDelete