Sunday, October 19, 2014

Balancing Temporal and Spiritual things

Ecclesiastes 5:12 - "The sleep of a labouring man is sweet ..."


Yesterday was one of those days.

I accomplished exactly four things yesterday, back-to-back-to-back-to-back, and then my day was unceremoniously over. I woke up and joined the group for D&D, went back to my room and napped, woke up and studied for/took an exam, and then showed up for my desk shift at work. Throughout, I never showered or even really got ready for the day. 

I actually had wanted to accomplish more, but after my nap stretched from two hours to four, I had to give up some things to focus on my exam. At first, I was inclined to curse my body's hunger for sleep and bemoan the extra hours I'd lost. After a while, though, I decided that, if I really needed sleep badly enough to turn off my alarm without me ever remembering it, then it was probably good things turned out the way they did. 

My main point is, what with all the busyness and rushing around and work I have to do all the time, it's easy to feel guilty for a little bit of idleness. However, the Lord knows what's better for me than I know myself, and so is wise in where he allows my victory to lie. In many ways, just as reading scriptures and praying is important to your well-being, so are other, more temporal things, like sleep and eating healthy and exercising. The Lord certainly doesn't want us to forego our physical well-being in favor of spiritual things, or vice versa. He wants us to find a balance and then stick with it. I've met people in both categories who forego the other, and neither are as happy as the Lord intends for us to be.

So, my challenge to you is, take a nap! Don't feel guilty about it, either. Trust me, after I woke up, I felt a whole lot more prepared to tackle that exam and professionally kill moments, as is in my job description.

No comments:

Post a Comment