Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Seeing the Best of Things (with Added Commentary)

2 Corinthians 9:12 - "For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God."

I'm an RA! Just in case you haven't been following.

Being an RA (aka Resident Assistant, aka Living with College Freshmen to facilitate their experience) is an interesting journey. One of my residents innocently asked me last night if I enjoy being an RA. I told him of course! Then, he asked me what it's like. I hemmed and hawed for a moment, then pulled out an analogy.

I see living as an RA like going to the Dentist. You're surrounded by friendly people, you get free things, you get a nicer smile, you get to relish the joys of Novocaine, your family takes hilarious YouTube videos of you saying the most ridiculous things while under the influence, your video gets, like, a billion hits, you retire from the proceeds ... Going to the dentist is great! But, you know ... you're still at the dentist.

But that's just the thing! It's like that one story of the guy who stops to talk with three different quarry workers. He asks all three of them the same question--"What are you doing?"--and he gets three different responses.

"I'm chipping rocks."

"I'm earning three gold pieces a day."

"I'm building a house of the Lord."

See, each one of the workers had the same job, but each had a different perspective. I can easily allow myself to be bogged down with the less-than-glamorous side of my job, like how people are always locking themselves out and stealing my shower curtains and leaving paper all over the shared bathroom floor, but I don't choose to focus on things like that.

I see my job as a wonderful opportunity to minister to my fellow brothers, to be their friend and help in anything they need. Sure, sometimes I'm as grumpy as a honey badger when I'm in the middle of my afternoon nap and I'm roused for whatever whatever, but I'm just grateful I still have the chance to brighten someone's day, for my employment! How many people can say that?

Well, a lot more than you'd think, I suspect. I mean, if I'd had this kind of attitude even when I was working at Sonic--"I'm feeding hungry people!"--I think my already awesome experience would have improved tenfold.


How do you serve others through your employment?

I wrote a commentary on this post on April 30, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment