Monday, September 22, 2014

Finding Truth in All Things: Are You There, Moriarty?

Moses 6:61 - "Therefore it is given to abide in you ... the truth of all things ..."

As part of my job as an RA, every week, I hold a 'CS Meeting,' where I gather the residents of my floor together and lead a discussion/activity about what's been going on in the hall and any concerns or problems we need to discuss.


These meetings I run have traditions we have started.  The most prominent one is, before the opening prayer, I call up two of the residents to play, 'Are You There, Moriarty?' We have a bracket going, and we're hoping to find an overall champion by the end of our time together. Either way, each match is intense, and people have even begun strategizing ways to win beforehand, though I've personally discovered brute force usually increases your chances of winning.


Anyway, given that the main obstacle in the game is that you're blind, as I watched my two residents duel it out yesterday, I thought about how one could easily use the game as an object lesson in some Sunday School lesson.

Here's mine: I would explain how, with the loss of prophets and apostles following the widespread apostasy of the Christian church, the people of the day were left in spiritual darkness. I would give the newspapers and blindfolds to my volunteers and have them play the game, likely changing the key phrase to something more Gospel-related. I would focus on how many times the two duelists miss hitting each other, and compare those whiffs to how hard it is to gain a full understanding of God's full plan without His personally chosen servants and accompanying revelations. Either way, it would be a fun break in the lesson, and hopefully, the comparison would stick.

But what about you guys? Be sure to post a short Sunday School lesson plan based on this game (or others, if you so prefer) in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! Although, lying on the floor in Sunday clothes and whacking each other sounds like a boy thing! Makes me chuckle to imagine sisters in skirts, with well-coifed hairdos, blindly swinging at one another!

    My idea: How about giving students photocopies of a simple jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces? Purposely design the puzzle so that the the image you see could easily lead students to different conclusions regarding the details of the missing pieces. Competition time! Invite the students to draw what they think the completed picture should look like. (During the Reformation, people often made an honest effort to fill in the missing pieces of the gospel.) Feel free to have them discuss the merits of their efforts, and maybe even vote on a "Most Likely to Be True" puzzle. Now restore the missing pieces and compare the "true" puzzle with the well-meaning, intelligent, reform efforts of the students. (The true picture could only be discerned with a Restoration, not a reformation.) Also discuss the variety of the student's reformed puzzles as an illustration of why there are so many Christian sects today. What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true! Now that you mention it, perhaps my object lesson would be best suited for primary or young men. I'd love to meet the RS sisters who'd be down to rumble, though!
    That's actually a great lesson! Can I steal it for future SS lessons? :)

    ReplyDelete