Friday, September 26, 2014

Serving Others: Birthday Vegetables (with Added Commentary)

Mosiah 24:15 - "...bear up their burdens with ease..."

So the other RAs and I were all like, "Let's party tonight!" And we did! To, like, 2:00am! 

Some people be trollin' in this picture. We were all having a great time, I swear.
But anyway, as I was walking through a building all by myself in an attempt to rally and rustle up the crowd, who should I see but another one of my RA friends chilling at his building's front desk. I stopped to talk with him and see how he was doing, and lo and behold, two freshmen girls waltzed in and asked if they could take up some birthday vegetables to their friend's room.

Well, given BYU's standards on in-room visits and all that, my RA friend behind the desk had to tell them they were crazy. I felt sorry for the crestfallen girls, however, given they'd obviously put some hard work into their efforts, so I offered to go up to the guy's room and do their surprise work.

So, carrying a tray of vegetables and some streamers, I went up to the guy's room, where the ringleader claimed he'd left his key specifically so she could decorate the place. She also said the place would be empty. Imagine my laughter when I discovered the selfsame guy hanging out in his bedroom. He and his roommate explained they were supposed to be gone, but had fallen behind in their schedule. They begged me not to tell the girl that I'd found them. I told them, "Ok, but on one condition: you gotta help me streamer the room."

So, we did.

This is obviously the work of three guys trying to do a slap-together job in, like, five minutes.
I went back downstairs with pictures of the decorations, taking them after the guys stuffed themselves in their closets. She was most grateful and thanked me generously.

I went back to my RA friend, who was shaking his head. "You're a good guy," he said. "I wouldn't have done that."

I laughed. "Sure you would! Maybe not while you're behind the desk, but it was a good chance to serve someone." With that, we bantered a bit, and then I left, smiling because I'd helped someone do something they couldn't, aiding someone in their service for a third party who I, in turned, served by allowing the girls to think they were completely surprised. This whole situation is kind of confusing in my description, I admit, but it was fun! Not because I streamered someone's room, because naw, dog, that ain't me. No, it was because I eased someone's burden. And if I can do that every day, well, not only does it being me joy, but it brings joy to my Savior who experienced all things.

I wrote a commentary about this post on May 14, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment