Saturday, September 27, 2014

Same Objective: A Roller-Skating Analogy (with Added Commentary)

Zechariah 13:9 - "And I ... will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God."

A group of friends and I went out on a date last night to roller-skate and eat crepes at a delicious restaurant devoted to that particular type of food. It was, as I always seem to have, super fun!


As the four of us spun around the rink, I kept looking around at the other skaters to see how everyone else was doing. Some people were holding hands as they went. Some people were wobbly and liked windmilling their arms to stay in balance. Some people were confident, gliding past our group without a care in the world. One poor girl's frantic windmillings couldn't even stop her from falling repeatedly. One group of young girls looked like they were professionals, their synchronized skating remaining in perfect speed and balance no matter what fallen obstacle they had to skirt around. And, of course, there were the little children on scooters, tearing around the place and making the members of our party nervously wobble as they careened into our pathway without fear of death or danger.

As I watched this skating rink full of people of all sorts, shapes, and sizes, I found an interesting analogy. All of us were there for the same reason: we wanted to have fun skating. The way we were able to do that, though, differed completely from person to person. But that was OK! Because we were all still accomplishing our goals. Obviously, or we would have left.

In the same way, all of us are here on this earth for the same reason: to grow and develop and nurture our characters and personalities so we can prove ourselves and return to live with Father. And we're all doing it in our own way. Some of us stumble and fall repeatedly. Some of us are filled with confidence. Some of us are always windmilling. But that's OK! Because, each of us, as we strive and push forward, are still accomplishing our goals. And that's all God asks for: our very best efforts. No matter how many times we fall on our butts.

I wrote a commentary about this post on May 21, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment