Sunday, September 7, 2014

SLCC: Finding a Place (with Added Commentary)

John 17:22 - "... that they may be one, even as we are one."

You guys! I went to the Salt Lake Comic Con yesterday!


Oh, man, did I have a blast. The crew and I people watched, got pictures with people in costume, ooed and ahed at all the displayed artwork, and went to panels on topics like How to Write Strong Female Characters, Bronies Unite, How to Market yourself as an Independent creator, among others. We bought posters, including a caricature of me as a zombie pony, agonized over various geek purchases, and just had a blast. Of particular mention was when I met my primary inspiration as a writer, Brandon Sanderson, who was just the coolest guy ever. During my two minutes, I asked him if I could buy him lunch sometime, and he said no in about the kindliest manner ever, ratcheting up my respect for him even more. He even told me he's serving as a Gospel Doctrines teacher in his ward, which I thought was the coolest thing ever. He's living the kind of life I want to live, that of a successful writer and an active participant in the building of the Lord's kingdom to boot.


Beyond the celebrity meet-ups, the crazy costumes, the art, the music, and even the specific and enthusiastically received education I experienced pertaining to my craft, I recognized one of those eternal truths I'm always talking about. So many people expressed sentiments along the lines of, "This is the only time of year I can truly be myself!" or "This is the only place where I really feel comfortable!" I found sorrow in those statements. Living a gospel-centered life always provides me strength and love person no matter how strange I am perceived as being. I never have to feel alone or forgotten when Christ is leading and guiding me, and I can always spread that love to others by reaching out to them in ways many of my fellow con-goers haven't apparently experienced. 


We all have the capacity to bless and strengthen. Let's not pass that up.

I wrote a commentary about this post on March 26, 2015. Click here to read!


4 comments:

  1. I'm confused. What's Brandon Sanderson's comic connection? Or is Comic Con more comprehensive than its name suggests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question! Comic Con has kind of turned into a giant geek fest beyond mere comics. Authors, illustrators, actors, directors, animators, and anyone or anything with any sort of obsessive or cult following come together in a single throng to geek out. So, yes! Way more comprehensive!

    ReplyDelete