Friday, September 5, 2014

Comparing Personal Revelation with Scripture: A Walk

After work last night, I was inexplicably restless. I decided, as though I hadn't already been walking enough, to take a lap around Helaman Halls to clear my mind and think out a few things.


I came to a series of conclusions on my walk, specifically concerning my prayers, that I now feel I need to change in my life. In specific, I need to pray ...

1.) ... before I embark on any creative projects. For me, that includes blogging, typing up my journal, drafting my novel, performing with my ukulele, creating any videos, or anything of the like. I've been walking a fine line, nearly forgetting from whom all these talents of mine come. Matthew 5:16; 2 Nephi 32:9.

2.) ... for missionary opportunities. I'm living next-room to a nonmember. I'm working with a lot of guys with varying levels of testimony. I can have them; I'm just not asking for them yet. Doctrine and Covenants 100:6.

3.) ... for guidance in locating my future family. I think a lot of my trepidation regarding dating comes from the fact that I am going about it solo. See, on my mission, my mission president told me, for my last few P-Days, to try and receive revelation about who I'm going to marry. After much wrestling, I feel pretty confident that the Lord just told me, "You get to know someone, choose them, and then ask me if I approve." I made a mistake in that I haven't really consulted with Him too much since then, working completely blind. Just because he wants me to make the decision on my own doesn't mean he won't nudge me in the right direction. Genesis 24:12.

4.) ... before I begin my studies. I actually pray before my scripture study every time, but I haven't been for my actual classes. Given my poor track record, I need all the help I can get. Alma 34:17-27.

... and, finally, one unrelated thing. I hadn't expected all these goodies when I'd first begun my walk, so I was pondering how that always seemed to be the case. "You always give me better than I expected," I mused to myself out loud.
You always give me better than I expected.
For some reason, that made me see things a whole lot differently.

1 comment: