Saturday, September 19, 2015

Why Dating Is Superior to Job Hunting (with Added Commentary)


For me, it keeps coming back to, "What do I want to do?"

I know what that is. It's just not feasible.

So, I keep asking myself, "What do I want to do so I can do what I want to do?"

As I've been preparing to apply for grad school, I keep wondering if I'm looking into the right program, if I even want to go. But if I don't go into grad school, I wonder to myself, What can I even do with an English major?

So, I few days ago, I went to an on-campus meeting for individuals with budding aspirations in HR.

I didn't think about taking a picture of anything until after everything ended.
At the end of the meeting, I was even more confused than I was before.

HR might be a good fit for me. I don't know. I'm someone who has to really try something before I commit to it, but even if I give HR a nibble, I'm still making a long-term commitment doing something I might not necessarily enjoy. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this mentality was true for every single job I could ever apply for.

One of my good friends happened to independently attend the same meeting. As we were talking afterward, I spouted off a strange analogy.

I like dating because I'm able to weigh what I don't like and what I adore about a person without necessarily making any real commitment to a full-on relationship with them. As I learn certain things about the people I date, then I'm able to offer educated prayers and consult with the Lord about things.

The thing about seeking for a career is that I can't weigh anything about what I think about potential employment opportunities. I can't pray to the Lord about specific pros and cons to each option, because I don't even know them myself!

In this sense, I think, finding employment is more of a trust exercise than even dating is. And so, as the months slip away, I know I will need to lean heavily on my support.

Hey! I wrote a commentary about this post on February 11, 2016. Click here to read it!

1 comment:

  1. You should do an editing internship with the Church. The Joseph Smith Papers and others are always looking for editors. :)

    ReplyDelete