Saturday, September 12, 2015

Waiting: Storytelling Festival (Part Last)



The third performer of the event was a man by the name of Tim Lowry. There were many reasons why he was my favorite of the night.

For starters, he was from the South, and hearing his timbre gave me feelings of welcome homesickness. He was familiar with several African dialects, and his perfect delivery of Gullah heavily reminded me of the Jamaican Patois with which I've become so familiar. He was also incredibly hilarious, but, above all, he reminded me of me.


Well, he kind of reminded me of me. The story he told was from his time as a new adult, when life was big and offered too many options. He didn't know where to go, or what to do, or how to get there.

So, he went for a drive. He drove and drove and drove until he accidentally stumbled upon an exotic animal zoo buried deep in someone's deep-fried backyard (it makes sense in context). He wandered around this zoo, speaking with the zookeeper, learning about him and his life and how he'd gotten all those animals to rural Georgia. Finally, as ol' Tim left, the zookeeper imparted on him some wisdom.

"Son, don't wait thirty years to do what you want to do!"

We all heard this statement. I'm sure that impacted many people strongly, but it hit me like a crashed passenger jet. I'm not sure I know what I want to do--yet--but I sure as heck don't want to wait thirty years to do it. This train of thought hasn't led me anywhere yet, but it sure got me going.


So, what are you waiting for?

Speaking of waiting, don't miss out on adding to this week's thinkjoust! Do you like e-books, paper books, audio books, or something else? Add your voice to the poll at the top of the page, and let your voice be heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment