Monday, September 7, 2015

What I Think About Tattoos


Today I wanted to talk about the tattoo my sister recently got.


It's pretty well known that Mormons like myself don't usually procure tattoos, so when my sister revealed she'd gotten one, a couple of my good friends asked me what I thought about. They weren't accusing, of course, just curious, and the questions helped me ponder.

For starters, tattoos are not against the commandments of God. If I were to go into a temple reccomend interview sporting a tattoo, yet living an outstandingly pure life, I would be golden.

It is true that prophets have encouraged Mormons not to receive tattoos, but when can anyone remember a general authority speaking out on the subject in a general conference? No, we hear about subjects like the Law of Chastity, the Word of Wisdom, Tithings and Offerings, and other things far more important to our spiritual sanctity. I think it's easy to focus on things like tattoos because the world can see them, but it's also easy to hide those other things.

For my sister particularly, that tattoo represents a hard-fought war. I can't imagine that she would ever want to charge back into battle when she has that to focus on.


I love my sister. And I'm happy for her, tats and all.

4 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful tattoo . I couldn't help noticing that there are razor marks on her arm so i guess although as Mormons we are discouraged from marking our bodies which are temples I guess that tattoo is a good reminder for her on her struggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord wants us to care for our bodies, one of his most beautiful gifts to us. Latter-day Saints have been taught, even in General Conference, that tattoos are not in harmony with honoring that gift. However, the whens and whys of getting a tattoo are so personal, as are many of our individual decisions about how we would like to express our love and appreciation for God, that it would never be appropriate to judge another person based on those kinds of choices. Your beautiful sister obviously has some physical scars which undoubtedly reveal deeper emotional and possibly spiritual scars. Her positive statement about being kind to herself is so much more important that the manner in which she chose to express it. I have no doubt that judging her would displease our Father in Heaven more than the tattoo ever could. God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete