Friday, September 11, 2015

Stepping Back: Storytelling Festival (Part 1)

Psalms 90:9 - "For all our days are passed away ... we spend our years as a tale that is told."

My friends and I went to the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival this past Friday! It was sick!


I had an absolute blast. True, I only went to but one of the events, but the five storytellers there really opened up my mind to a whole new train of possibilities.

We heard about cross-generational differences between an immigrant and her daughter. We heard about a fearless pigeon who saved the lives of the 77th division. We heard about a deep-fried zoo and an enthusiastic baptist preacher. We heard about the tender moments surrounding a young family. We heard about what it was like to own a party telephone line. I even had the chance to watch--and sometimes understand--an ASL interpreter!

We laughed, cheered, clapped, and, at some points, I even teared up.


It was bizarre, though. Why? I wondered. Why are all these people here? We all paid decent money to come and sit and watch a group of individuals come up and talk at us for two hours. Out there, in the streets, there were movie theaters and bowling and mini golf and laser tag and video games and gyms and all sorts of things, just beckoning for our attention.

And yet, we chose to come, take a few steps back from life, and think about things.

As I left, I couldn't stop thinking about how I wish there were more events like this available out there in the world. Of course, I also couldn't stop thinking about that wise old Southern gentleman. But I'll talk about him tomorrow ...

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment