Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Know Your Candidates: Jim Gilmore

Why I Started This New Feature


Following my rantings about Voldemort (He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named) last week, I thought long and hard about something I said.

As several commentators pointed out-- and one quite gleefully, I might add--I ended up talking about Voldemort even though I was telling people not to talk about him. However, I made it clear I was aware of the irony or hypocrisy, no matter how you see it. I personally felt like the following quote was far more important to the post's conclusion than anything else I said.

"Or, if you can't handle that, then spend as much time learning about [Voldemort] as you do learning about every single other candidate. Give them your time, too."

So, if I'm going to throw down such a challenge, I'll help you with it as well. Every week, I'm going to light a spotlight on an under-appreciated presidential candidate. I don't know how long I'll want to keep this as a feature on the blog, and I may grow bored of the concept within a week, but, for now, let's see where this takes us.


To start this second installment off, let's meet ... Jim Gilmore!



First, Jim wants to protect the right to bear weapons.

Second, Jim wants to end the war on terrorism by undermining the enemy's ideologies.

Third, Jim believes that America is no longer trusted or respected by its allies or enemies. He seeks to rectify that.

Fourth, Jim wants to track down every criminal immigrant and get them off the streets..

Fifth, Jim wants to increase the budget for America's defenses.

Sixth, Jim wants to cut taxes and create jobs.

Seventh, Jim wants to remove Obamacare with an alternate solution.

Eighth, Jim wants to attack climate change by removing regulations that force states and power companies to shift their focuses on solar and wind power.


What's My Opinion?


You really shouldn't care about my opinion. Get your own! It's worth way more than mine!

That being said, I'm not convinced that Jim can do everything he's promised. Or, at the very least, he's saying things that everybody kind of wants to happen, but nobody really has the power to actually do anything about it. For example, he wants to get rid of criminally illegal (illegally criminal?) immigrants. Well, shoot. I wouldn't mind a little less crime in our country. Too bad it's a big place with a lot of little hidey-holes, you know?

As it is, Voldemort and Gilmore are the only candidates I've half-seriously studied, so I won't lay down a solid opinion on old Jim just yet. Next week: perhaps a democratic candidate?

No comments:

Post a Comment