Monday, September 28, 2015

Open Arms: India Fest


My friends and I went to an India Festival this last weekend!


It was a fairly impromptu sort of thing. As I was feverishly rolling dice during a role-playing session, I got a call from my roommate, who asked if I wanted to go.

Sure! Why not? 


Upon arrival, I was immediately struck by the similarities between the Hindu faith and my own. They have a temple. They have laws of reverence. They follow a code that helps them determine what is acceptable eating. They have scripture filled with engaging stories, as well as a definable canon. They have traditions they keep, and they love what they do.


I know exactly what my religious beliefs are, but that doesn't mean I can't spend time learning about what other people cherish. I'm sometimes amazed by how little I know about the beliefs of my friends, my fellow humans, the way other people live their lives, and even about what we do have in common. I think if everyone took some time to really listen and pay attention to what everyone is saying around us, we'd walk away much the better.

So who are you going to learn from today?

No comments:

Post a Comment