Friday, September 4, 2015

Deerly Beloved: A Photo Walk


I'm sure some of you remember this post from Sunday. I actually write every single one of these myself. I used to put a link to an inspirational message underneath each one, but then I learned some people thought I was pulling the quote from the message itself. No! I wrote every single one! So, as of this point on, no more captioned links. I'm sure you wanted to know the origin of this picture, though. Well well well ... let me tell you.


Pro tip: You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.

So there's this deer wandering outside my old residence, and I want to snap a cool picture of it! Of course, my phone is not the best camera, so I was struggling to get a good shot.

COME ON RED SHIRT YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY NATURE ADMIRER HERE

I guess the man made structure kind of ruins the 'nature shot' purity of the thing. 

At this point, I was pretty convinced the deer was going to head up the stairs and be long gone, so I turned back to play pool or something.

But then, I realized I was wrong.

SO ADORBS! I WISH MY CAMERA WAS BETTER

I backed away from the deer at this point so as not to spook it. I was surprised to discover that it wanted to walk in my general direction, but, sure enough, it did. As it approached, I got to thinking.

This is a beautiful creature, I thought. Absolutely gorgeous. God sure has good handiwork.

I wonder if He's watching this deer right now, admiring it like I am. Well, He's at least watching it; His eye is on the sparrow, after all.

I guess it's more likely He's watching me watching the deer. One of His sons, admiring one of His creations.

I don't have a son, myself, but I can imagine what it would feel like to watch my son read one of my books one day. I think I would relish in his delight, if he found any in what I'd created.

Like right now, for instance. This deer is literally ten feet away from me, and I am having a hard time staying calm. I don't want to spook the dang thing!

So, really, God is watching me watch this deer. This is, truly, an unremarkable experience in my life. I've done a lot more interesting and unique things than this.

But I don't think He cares. If He truly is my loving Heavenly Father, then he knows me and who I am and why I find this deer so fascinating, so thrilling. Maybe that's why the deer is so calm and comfortable around me.

Of course, I'll have to share this in my blog. Maybe one of my rambling thoughts will get someone else thinking, too, hopefully about how much God loves them, how much He knows them, how He's willing to add wonder in their life.

After all, if God's eye is on the sparrow, and on this deer, and on me, then He sure as heck is watching my readers. I may think they're great, but, golly, He knows them even better than I. He must think they are fantastic.

Oh! The deer is giving me that look. "OK, you can stop staring now." I'll get on that, deer. Thank you for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment