Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Why Guilty Pleasures Don't Define


What I spent my money on yesterday.
Whenever I go on dates, I make sure to spill my guilty pleasures early so as to not prompt any surprises later. Probably the two most embarrassing things about me is that I like the show My Little Pony: Frienship is Magic,  and that I play Dungeons and Dragons and other similar role-playing games. I've been pleasantly surprised that most of my dates haven't outright shunned me for my confessions, though I have experienced the playful mockery that follows such interests.

When it comes to these interests, though, I often find I struggle to fully connect with those who share them with me, with OBVIOUS EXCEPTIONS. However, for the most part, I constantly find myself frustrated with fandoms as a whole. It's only been recently when I've really discovered why.

I, for one, never define myself, as a person, by these fandoms. Yes, I may say something like, "I am a brony," or, "I am a Halfling Lich Warlock Bard Saturday mornings," but those things aren't me. If I didn't have these things, I would be no less and no different of a person than I am now. My value would not change. I would still be the creative, enthusiastic, rocking dude I still am. My free time and, to a lesser extent, money might be spent in different ways, but I would still be me.

However, I have discovered many people in various fandoms who define themselves according to their similar associations. I'll use a brony example. I have witnessed people saying how the 'criticism' placed on the show by nay-sayers is difficult to live with, but that they've become stronger for it. "My Little Pony changed my life," they might say. "I don't know where I'd be without it. I was in a dark place before I started watching the show."

... Seriously?

I'm not trying to blast the good feelings people have about this show, or any other show they feel similar connections to--after all, I watch the show myself, quite shamelessly--but a kid's show originally targeted toward little girls should not be the entire basis of who you are and where you are today. This show (and other shows people say changed their life) is not a religion.

And, personally, being a Mormon myself, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who speak out about bullying or whatever, especially when the worst their show or hobby receives is a jab by Jerry Springer or a mocking skit performed by Studio C. I was at Salt Lake Comic Con last year (click link), and guess what? I didn't see a single person picketing the geeks getting herded into the convention center. I didn't see anyone calling any of the cosplayers and larpers names or insults. If negative media attention gets you down, then don't watch it! And if you have a personal bully in your life, well, let's be honest. Some of you watch shows for little girls. If you didn't want to get bitten by a snake, you shouldn't have slathered yourself with mayonnaise and sat down in its nest. You knew what you were sitting on when you slathered yourself with mayonnaise.

On the flip side, I went to Salt Lake at another point last year (click link), and what do you know. My real defining 'fandom,' if you can call it that, the religion upon which I have based my entire moral structure and code, the reason why I have to stop and ponder my actions before I do act, was being viciously persecuted by people who drove who knows how many hours to give me a piece of their mind. If criticism motivates you to stay true to something, then come to the Conference Center this April. I might just buy you lunch.

All in all, though, I think the point to this rant of mine is that, no matter what media you like, I sincerely doubt God wants you to define yourself by it. True, I still say, when asked, that, "I am a brony," but what makes me truly swell up with pride is when I can confidently say, "I am a Mormon, and I believe in Jesus Christ." In the end, ponies and dice may fade away, and years from now, I may wonder why I ever liked stuff like that. In the end, if modern media had never thrived, who would we be?

If something were to strip away everything you ever did, had ever known, or ever had, and you were left floating on a sea of nothingness ... who would you be?

Who are you?

Be sure to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment