Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Broken Bird (Poem)

Psalms 51:17 - "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

I found a bird against my house
Stunned, dazed, and broken
I took it in, bandaged its wing
Words of care unspoken.

As bird in box suffered defeat
And pecked on bread and grain
I watched with a curious eye
to know of its pain

Majestic flight had gone to shambles
and future flights were far from sight
One mistake had left it reeling
Too bruised to continue with the fight

And yet, fight it did, for weeks or more
until it'd regained strength
Friends we were, and away it flew
As I wished it luck at length

Sitting, alone, in my home
I pondered on what I'd seen
It took some time, but a lesson learned
I eventually gleaned

I have much more vigor
than a broken, flightless fowl
If my own flight through life is dashed
I don't have to throw my towel

So to the box I reverent stepped
Took up the broken bandage
Tied it once around my arm
And live with all advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment