Friday, January 9, 2015

Diamond in the Rough: Russian Performance

John 12:36 - "While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of the light ..."

A couple of nights ago, I was chilling with my bros when my main bro announced he wanted to go to a Russian singer's senior performance for extra credit for one of his classes. He invited me to come along, and I so did.

Once we arrived, however, I made sure to sit on the very edge of the aisle, just in case I needed to beat a hasty retreat for personal lack of excitement or interest. Once the main event started, the darkened lights and my general student-driven lack of sleep promptly prompted me to fall asleep. As it was, I was beginning to seriously regret coming.

But, nope. I've trained my body to nap in thirty-minute increments, so I'd lost the ability to fall back asleep. As I sat there, readying my departure, I started paying closer attention to the pieces the singer had selected, as well as what she was saying about them as well.

I was enraptured the remainder of the performance. The pieces she sung, though in Russian, were incredibly moving, particularly the piece she selected that presented imagery of the Russian peoples' frustrations over the government, and particularly the communist regime. I left the event pondering what I'd missed in the first half hour and how I'd blown a good opportunity. I was grateful I'd recovered long enough for the end.

I think my poor attitude at the beginning shows that I'd forgotten just how bright one's light can shine. Very rarely does someone create something without merit or meaning to anyone else in the world, even for those who sometimes don't expect it. As that singer shone her light those few days back, I recognized the gifts God had bestowed upon her. And that was enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment