Monday, January 19, 2015

In the Light: Divine Comedy Perf.

1 John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

I wasn't sitting in the best place for pictures or catching flung glow-sticks, but as it is, I went on a triple-date to BYU's sketch comedy group Divine Comedy last Saturday!


I don't have too much to say about it--such a performance requires immediate observance or, to a lesser extent, watching their YouTube channel--but I will point out that I usually talk about how much people should shine their lights to bless others. Rarely, if ever, have I talked about how someone else's light blessed me.

There's just something about live performances that sparks the imagination and determination of those who see them. At least, that's how I feel. Seeing those outgoing actors, all of whom assist in the writing, plotting, and execution of their various sketches, re-inspired me to do a lot more with the free time I've been given. While my study habits are much improved from last semester, progress on my novel has become quite slack. Some of my other projects and ambitions have fallen under the bridge as well. At the same time, I've had some new ideas I want to work on, some even inspired from the performance itself.

Most importantly, the performance encouraged me to go before God later that night and utter one of the most effective prayers I ever have in my entire life. I sincerely doubt the performers anticipated that they would affect anyone beyond prompting fits of laughter, but they helped me see things in the way I needed. And they wouldn't have if they'd refrained from shining that light.

What light will you shine this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment