Friday, December 19, 2014

Experiencing All: Party Crashers [with Added Commentary]

Genesis 30:27 - "... for I have learned by experience that the Lord hath blessed me for thy sake."

So I'm sitting in my room late Wednesday night, trying to give a care about my upcoming finals, with nary a shower or a change of clothes earlier in the day to get me going, when I heard a knock at my door. Oh great, I thought. Someone locked themselves out of their room. Again. Dragging my gym shorts off my couch and running a finger through my gnarled porcupine hair, I approached the door and cracked it open.

To my surprise, I wasn't greeted by a resident, but by one of my RAs. His opening statement was a bit more complicated, but the story boiled down to this.

"So, my uncle gave me tickets to a free dinner at a Brazilian restaurant hosted by UVU parking. I don't have a car, but you do, so wanna crash it?"

Well, duh.

So I actually showered and changed and jumped in a car and got lost on the way to this Brazilian restaurant. When we arrived, our entire plan boiled down to finding the event, sitting down, and hoping nobody asked any probing questions. After all, my friend's uncle was expected at the event, and seeing how we were from a rival school, any investigation might result in us being exposed for frauds. It was all very exciting.

So we found out where the event was and sat down in some empty seats, squashed between other empty seats. The food was bank, man, and the fact that we were getting it ... for free ... because some UVU executive was paying for this fantabulous feast when we totally didn't deserve it. I pay parking tickets, not give them.


Thankfully, we were lucky in that there were actually several factions represented at the event, so most everyone thought we belonged to a different group than the one they were associated with. Unfortunately, we couldn't avoid the moment forever. An older couple asked us what it was like, working parking. It was time.

We hadn't discussed an alias or plan prior to the event in case we did get asked such a question. I'd formulated one of my own, perfectly designed to throw my friend under the bus. "I'm with him." Of course, I never had the chance to use it, because my friend answered for us. "Oh, my uncle gave us his tickets."

Huh. Never thought about honesty.

The old couple was surprised. They nodded. They never said another word to us.

It was awesome.


Point is, besides the hilarious experience, imagine where I would have been had I rejected such an opportunity. Probably sitting on the couch, staring at the ceiling, wondering how the Glorious Revolution fits in regards to Marcus and what New Testament epistle he appeared in. True, studying would have been the best priority, but I gained a memory, something I won't be quick to forget. 

My challenge to you today is to not put experiences before something that can be put off for later. True, at some point, I had to buckle down and take the exam, but my two hour excursion didn't hurt that. This season often has us focus a lot more on its preparations than for what it is actually intended, namely, spending time with friends and family and spreading and feeling love. So go out there! Crash a party! Above all, have fun. 

Hey there! I wrote a commentary about this post on February 25, 2016. Click here to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment