Monday, July 6, 2015

Patience: Fourth of July 2015 Recap


EXPLOSIONS!!!
YAY HAPPY BELATED FIREWORKS DAY!

The local and annual Independence Day Stadium of Fire event featured the band Journey this year. However, even if I was a die hard Journey fan, I wouldn't have been able to personally attend considering my responsibilities as a CA.


No, neither of those people are me. Thanks, though! ;)
I was charged with the task of clambering onto one of the roofs, notable for resting just within the fireworks fallout zone, and manning a hose to ensure the place didn't catch on fire and burn to the ground. After I'd conquered my fears of heights and drowning, I was able to appreciate the view for some time.

I could see grass when I was on the ground before, but man, grass sure is different-looking three stories up!
It didn't take long, however, for boredom to set in. The very act of sitting on top of a roof with nothing to do but contemplate grass began to gnaw at my very sanity like a plague rat. Soon, I was yelling and raving, demanding that the show begin now!

"We still have three hours," someone said.

I began to cry. Some of my coworkers attempted to cheer me up.


As the night slowly descended upon the valley, my coworkers and I could hear Journey rocking out, the fans screaming, and, most importantly, a noticeable lack of fireworks.

And no, those orange lights are not fireworks.
Oh, sure, a firework was launched into the air here or there, and I could see things catching on fire now and then, but, for the most part, the stadium was dark and lifeless. The time for the actual fireworks portion of the show came and passed, and I was still trying to kill that horrendous plague rat.

Go, third-party fireworks, go!
Thankfully, some of the neighbors were having their own show. I could see them every now and again, shooting over the baseball field off in the distance. I commented aloud that these backyard ballistics were far more impressive than the actual event people had paid exorbitant amounts of money to watch. Resigned to the fact that I was set for another two hours of no excitement, I closed my eyes.

KABOOM!
All at once, I was awake, staring wide-eyed at the cacophony of lights and sounds tearing the sky asunder. Explosion after explosion rocked the night as the Stadium lit up with its thunder, even drawing me in for three false conclusions before the entire night slowly quieted, with only a few measly neighborhood fireworks halfheartedly exploding a distance away..

I was stunned. Not only was the event worth waiting for, it had also been surprisingly patriotic. It may have taken some time for the event to start, but I haven't since regretted the time I spent on the roof. It was truly a grand experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment