Saturday, July 18, 2015

Gratitude: Mind-Blowing Email


Back in the old days (like, April), I struggled to keep up with this blog's daily pace. Some days, I'd be running around after midnight, seeking for inspiration (and an accompanying picture) for the next day's post. On other days, I might be scrambling for inspiration the hour before I started writing.

Well, my loyal readers, that has not been a problem as of late! As a matter of fact, I had posts planned up to next Saturday!

Then, thunder boomed.

I pushed my blogging schedule back a day.

After all, what else am I supposed to blog about when I received this email?


Whoa! You may be thinking. What does that mean?

Honestly? At this point? Nothing much. A new author has to take many steps toward publication before he actually crests that mountain. I may have gotten past the first round of review, but now, those editors have to determine if the rest of my book is any good, particularly the ending. Then, they will likely ask me to make some changes, and thereafter carefully monitor our interactions, watching to see if I have two all-important qualities. First, they will ensure I am creative and enthusiastic in taking their suggestions. Second, they will want to know I am a pleasant person with whom to work. Finally, those editors will have to decide if my novel will actually help feed their families. Then, and only then, will I be able to be considered a published author.

Beyond that, though. What does this mean for me, right now?

No matter what happens, this is the farthest I've ever reached in seeking publication. Before Valentine's Day of this year, I had only received rejection letters. On Valentine's Day, I received submission recommendations from two separate professionals in the industry. Now, today, I finally found footing on another step toward achieving my dream.

In the end, this may go nowhere. After I send my full manuscript, I might never hear from those editors again. It is entirely possible God has completely different plans for me and my talents. But now, I have greater hope.

And that is what that email means to me.

2 comments: