Friday, July 17, 2015

Excellence: Epic Car Chase



YOU GUYS I WAS IN A CAR CHASE THE OTHER DAY.

... well, sort of.

I was minding my own business a few days ago, driving around town, when a goat caught my eye and winked at me.

Well, sure, I guess it didn't wink, seeing as how it was a picture on the back of a bus and all, but I nonetheless couldn't help but notice that the advertised job offering seemed pretty legit.*

So I saw this backside advertisement. I made the decision to snap a picture of the details.

... and then the bus stopped, and I slid right past it in the other lane.

Dang it! I thought to myself. I looked at my clock. Plenty of time to not go where I was heading. Taking a left at the next light, I threw my vehicle into gear and prepared for the most epic car chase of my life.

And by "Most epic," I mean, "Likely only."

So, guessing at the bus route (I feel pretty familiar with it at this point), I went around the block and followed up from behind, dodging traffic, lights, and pedestrians, hoping I would catch the bus the next time it stopped or something. I had a moment of elation when I saw a bus up ahead, but then that all crashed around me when I realized this was a completely different bus with a completely different advertisement on the back. I was just about ready to throw in the towel when I finally saw the object of my desire.

"There she blows!-there she blows! A hump like a snow-hill! It is Moby Dick!"
Or just a bus, I guess. It took me a few tries to actually snap a picture I could read, but, behold, it was done.

The experience got me to thinking about how I can improve in my other pursuits. I operate a daily blog, I'm writing several novels, I am trying to improve my skills in the arts of capoeira, ASL, music, and illustration, I am trying to gain an education ... While it is true I don't balance these things as well as I would like, I have slacked off in doggedly pursuing excellence in a lot of these categories.

Maybe if I applied the same skills I had in chasing down a bus ...

How do you pursue excellence in your daily endeavors? Be sure to comment below!

*Now, I know what you're thinking. Come on, Zac! I thought you were working on getting employment at the local library to help you further understand your interest level in your potential career! Well, you're exactly right, observant reader, but seeing as how nothing beyond half of an internship is completely finalized as of yet, I thought it'd be nice to keep some options open ... just in case. Is that OK with you? Good! Well!

1 comment:

  1. I will be honest; I don't pursue excellence. I am a creature of streaks, brief to extended periods of time where I will pursue something with the tenacity of a rhino with a bad ankle. I am currently on a decent diet streak. I am trying to re-up my workout streak, reading streak, and trying to avoid the near constant Netflix streak.

    ReplyDelete