Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Intentions: Midnight Drive-By


One night last week, the half moon found four friends sitting on a fish statue outside a very fancy restaurant. I'm not sure said restaurant would have appreciated our squatting upon their aesthetics, but that's what they get for being closed at midnight.


This meeting was preceded by an interesting experience, however.

The two individuals in the middle live about thirty minutes from town. The two of us on the edges decided we wanted to surprise them by driving through the canyon to their home and miraculously appearing with no prior warning. Oh, what voracious amusement! we pondered to ourselves as we continued our drive. Our assembly will be replete with jocularity and tomfoolery! Oh, what ecstasy!

We arrived, and they weren't home WHAT

As it so turned out, our friends had decided to hit the town themselves. After we sent the below picture to prove we actually had gone up to visit them, we agreed to meet at a halfway point on our way back to our respective homes.


Thus, the fish statue.

As I thought about it, I realized the experience reminded me of the Tale of the Two Brothers, a very short story you can read by clicking here. Even if you don't read it, the tale features two well-meaning individuals passing each other in the middle of the night with naught but loving intentions. It got me thinking about how many times I've tried to offer my help to someone, only to discover they have helped me in ways I never could have imagined. My offerings always seem so frail in comparison.

As I drove home that night, I concluded I needed to do a better job expressing gratitude to those all-important individuals in my life. I have no doubt that, one day soon, I will need their love and influence again.

No comments:

Post a Comment