Monday, April 6, 2015

Belonging: Two Families

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

Most of you know I am a male in my early twenties who unabashedly admits to watching the children's program My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Not only have I admitted this, I've discussed at length the internal conflict I bear regarding this interest.

Season 5 of the aforementioned show premiered this past weekend, and I didn't really know where I could go to watch if, being bereft of cable and the like. It was by pure happenstance that I discovered my University's Brony club was hosting a live streaming party for anyone interested in watching. With some reluctance, I decided to check it out.

As the previous link explains, I often find myself struggling to fully connect with those who coexist in my fandoms. I like a lot of things, but don't necessarily feel like I fit in with other people who like the same things. As it was, the Brony club turned out to be a wonderfully kind and enthusiastic group of people, but when it boiled down to it, I felt like an outsider. Yes, we all laughed at the same jokes, yes, we all made the same sort of comment, but I didn't truly feel like I belonged.



This very same weekend, most of my family came down to visit. The reasons were many, but at least one of them was to visit me. The visit was a very interesting experience when I began to compare it with my attendance at the premiere earlier in the weekend.

I almost guarantee I had a lot more in common with the gentlemen at the premiere than I did with my family members, at least in regards to interests. However, despite those differences between myself and my family members, I had a heap of a lot more fun with them. It was with them that I felt a sense of belonging, that no matter how life treats us or where we end up, I'll always have a place in my family's ranks.


God gave us the gift of our families for a reason. Let us not forget to cherish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment