Friday, April 3, 2015

Ten Talents Analogy: Post April Fool's Day

Matthew 25:14 - "For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods."

Back at home with the family, April Fool's Day was a manageable experience. On the off-chance that anyone actually remembered it (usually me), there was an even slighter chance that anyone would try to prank anyone (usually me), and since most pranks seem to revolve around breaking the sanctity of the bathroom, the pranker would usually find his or herself hoisted by their own petard when they just so happened to be the first to enter the restroom following their setting of the trap (usually me). As it was, our family has no notable stories from any April Fool's Day, at least none I've ever admitted to.

Here in the dorms, however, it's a frightening experience. Everyone remembers, because the one person who remembered in the first place makes sure to remind everyone else while rubbing their hands and cackling gleefully. These are the same types of people who, both before and after the day, always swear upon their mothers' grave that they will have/had nothing to do with any pranks. Never trust their quirky little smile. You may never find evidence, but they did it.

Anyway, instead of maybe two to seven possible suspects, the dorms offer hundreds of them. You could be getting pranked by your roommate, your hallmate, a girl from your ward, or possibly even some punk across the way who doesn't have any friends to prank in the first place. This poor guy didn't know what to do when he found the entirety of his bedroom where it was.


As for me, I spent the day in exile, refusing to open the door under any circumstance, fearing that my residents would descend upon me like a swarm and spray me with silly string or some other nonsense. After the day was over, however, I recognized something very important.

I'd been so wrapped up in the possibility that I would get pranked that I forgot to do any pranking myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment