Saturday, April 4, 2015

Missed Opportunity: Sidewalk Walk


I was walking around a park with my family yesterday, and we found this on the sidewalk.


I found it hilarious, mainly because the guilty party had ensured there would be no question as to what they had intended on accomplishing by using the medium to outright define itself. If such a practice were to continue, I would imagine all of our billboards sans advertisements, simply reading, "Billboard," which would likely please some of us. I can also imagine myself following the same post-modern avant-garde artistic vision by standing near a bus stop loudly repeating the word 'human' over and over again.

I'd be a good Pokemon.

Anyway, after I thought about the experience, I realized my vandal friend had missed out on a great opportunity. I knew nothing about them! They could have written down a virtue they adhered to, like courage or ambition. They could have written down a political belief, like democracy or totalitarianism. They might have written down a religious belief, like 'God is dead' or 'He lives!' 

But, nothing. Best I could gather is that they either have a refined sense of humor, or are utterly without creativity, either or, but I didn't learn anything from it. True, I'm not promoting vandalism, but since they were going to, anyway, not not take the chance to get a message across?

I know I would have.

Well, if I was prone to writing on sidewalks, that is, but you get the drift.

Anyway, my challenge to you all today is to get out there and spread a message you're passionate about, though perhaps through a means that stays on this side of the law. Take the opportunity to get someone thinking, and I promise you'll feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment