Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Good in All Things: Last-Ditch VG Party

Psalms 115:16 - "The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord's; but the earth hath he given to the children of men."

The last day of classes came upon the campus like a sigh of relief, calming and soothing the student body almost like nobody had finals to worry about. Of course, we all knew we had two 'days off' and were about to start heading back into the fray once more, but that was all right. Today, we could breathe.

As a way to celebrate the surmounting of this obstacle, I ran a program in the evening for the hall, a last-ditch video game party complete with catering and a projector.


It was sick. A lot of people came who wouldn't normally come to such activities, and everyone seemed to be having a fun time just vegging out and doing what they all do. In the end, I declared the activity a success, it having completed my primary goals of bringing people in the hall closer together.

Now, say what you want about video games. I know a lot of people, from parents to girlfriends, hate them with a passion. I, myself, have seen me need a recovery from a sore addiction to the things. I know their downsides. However, I do believe that even something as surface-level inane as video games can be used for good. I saw that last night in the interactions between these friends of mine.

And I think that's the thing. The internet can be used for horrible things, but can also be used to spread light and cheer. Nature can be abused or appreciated. One person can find great strength in a tough situation that another might wallow in.

Everything has its positives and negatives. I believe God left the positives hidden at times to give our life greater meaning, an eternal treasure hunt, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment