Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Stepping Back: Dying of the Light

Genesis 32:24 - "And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day."

This post's title is in reference to Dylan Thomas' poem, "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night."

I still had one more exam.

But I was done!

I was finished with exams.

You couldn't have dragged me to that last exam with a herd of angry elephants.

I'd been stuck in the same room, the same situation, the same schedule, and I wanted out.

I wanted to breathe.

I needed to prepare for the next day's exam.

So, I left.


I grabbed my friend, and we drove and talked and drove and talked and drove and talked, speeding through the winding and sometimes frightening corridors of our minds as we gently meandered down a long and apparently forgotten mountain path.

We were alone with nature, with nothing but an old metal box keeping us from the cruel mercies of whatever the elements had to offer.

We pushed outward until we had enough, until we'd dropped every word that needed saying.

We turned around and meandered back down the path to home.

Our minds were cleared, and our resolve was set.

That late night drive.

1 comment:

  1. "...and we drove and talked and drove and talked and drove and talked, speeding through the winding and sometimes frightening corridors of our minds as we gently meandered down a long and apparently forgotten mountain path." Whoa. That caught me off guard! An unexpected paradigm shift that startled, and then delighted me. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete