Monday, April 13, 2015

Infinite Worth: Maythology Conclusion

Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 - "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God ..."

My RA employment is slowly winding to a close. Well, slowly might not be the best word to describe it. All-too-quickly, perhaps? Well, no, that's not right either, because I haven't noticed any abrupt quickening in the progress of time. I guess it's going at a fairly slow pace, but my life is feeling a lot more hectic, so it feels like it's going more quickly.

Savvy? Good, because I don't get it, either.

Anyway, last semester, I put up a world map with the intention of putting my residents' missions on it. I soon discovered such a practice wasn't really my style, for some reason, and so the map remained blank. Beginning with this semester, however, I had a twofold idea to entice more of my residents to come to my weekly floor meetings and utilize the empty map. I soon dubbed that idea 'Maythology,' a portmanteau of 'Mythology' and 'May,' the latter being the name of the hall I live in.

I felt like I wanted to put a caption here, but I forgot what it was!
One of the opening activities preceding the meat of my floor meetings was something I called 'Man of the Week.' The residents and I would go in a circle describing our most manly moment. The winners' accomplishments reigned from killing a coyote with a rock to playing the video game Runescape for an unhealthy amount of time. Whoever's accomplishment was dubbed the manliest would win the 'Creature of the Week.' Each creature had been designed in advance by the previous week's winner.

Not only did the activity prompt greater attendance than it had last semester, it also fostered two additional benefits I feel foolish to admit I didn't consider beforehand. First, it gave these friends of mine an opportunity to really consider how awesome they are every week, something in them I never doubted myself. Second, it gave each of them to exercise their creativity in a unique way to create something they could truly be proud of.

Last night, for the last evening, the manliest resident accepted this past week's creature after I revealed and awarded it.

Arbor dentium, or known outside the scientific community as the Gnashing Tree, is an intelligent creature with a mental capacity far beyond its plantlike brethren. Though some suspect its original genus came from Fort Collins, Colorado, there is only one recorded specimen to date, which is planted on Brigham Young University campus right outside the dormitory complex affectionately called ‘May Hall.’ Though the Gnashing Tree feeds upon human flesh, most passers-by do not need fear an assault. For some unexplained reason, the gnashing tree only has taste for the flesh of boys living in this so-called ‘May Hall.’ Legend has it that if any individual from May Hall ever feasts upon the single banana growing on the top of the Gnashing Tree, they will become, and I quote, ‘totes swol.’ Documented on 4/12/2015
The Gnashing Tree
Then, I turned around a whiteboard to show I'd created a bracket so the residents could determine which creature, of all the creatures created by the hall, was the manliest it and of itself. After a long, tough battle, the Boose won out in the end.

Alces Ravus, or, known outside the scientific community as the Boose, lives in the Epping Forest just North of Greater London. The Boose is known as one of the most honorable creatures in the animal kingdom, preferring only to hunt prey equal to or greater than its physique or intellect. As such, Beese are known to hijack South African Airline craft at the London International Airport, slaughter the inhabitants inside, and then fly the craft to Africa to do battle with Elephants, Giraffes, and Lions. Africa is not alone in being a target of the Boose, meaning that most endangered species can tie their near destruction to Beese overhunting their kind. Organizations like PETA are quick to blame humans for drastically lowered animal populations across the world, but are only ignoring the Boose's own involvement. I mean, it certainly wasn't the DUTCH that killed off the Dodos. Recorded on the 8th of February.
The Boose
The resident who designed the Boose expressed righteous pride that his creation had won out in the end. I smiled at the residents' enthusiasm as the meeting drew to a close. From the creativity to the self-esteem to just having a ridiculous kind of fun, I couldn't muster any regrets about spending much time drawing these wacky things.

My challenge to you today is twofold. First, think about something you did this past week that defined how awesome you are. Second, go out and find some new way to express your creativity. I promise you it will be enlightening.

Finals coming up! Good luck out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment