Monday, March 2, 2015

"Why?" - For Those Who Fail To Speak Their Minds (Rhyming Prose)

D+C 122:7 - "... know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

When I was young, I was not allowed ice cream for breakfast. Now I am old, and I rebelled and learned a painful lesson fit to last.

When I was young, I didn't understand how certain maths were so important. Now that I slave over checkbooks, I thank my patient teachers constant.

When I was young, I wished to leave my hearth of birth, strike out on my own. Now that I'm here, I laugh to myself when I sometimes wish I could go back home.

That question is ever constant, or at least in forms.

"Why so?"

"Why not?"

Or, "Why not now?"

Left unanswered, raises storms.

No matter where we are we want to know, "Why?" But no matter the age, no matter the cause, giving lips are hard to find.

Whether tired parent, careless lover, hard employer, untrue friend, if for hurt we feel they won't say "why," that pain but doubles 'cause we can't comprehend.

Now I am old. I still feel the frustration of uncomprehending child. I want to know, to understand, and to not only drives me wild.

How much effort could it possibly take to drop word of account? No matter how gold the benefit, it fails me when you won't spell it out.

You left me? Why did you feel to lie? You toss me aside? Calloused to my cry? You ignore me? Why don't you tell me why? What you could offer, but don't, only tears me up inside.

Even God himself, whose voice rarely heard, gives more answers than you to I. Through thoughts and scripture, every trial faced, I do not need ask why.

But you, your arbitrary, soundless reason, your mock gavel clangs, oppresses my mind and soul and heart for freedom I only pang.

Thinkest thou to know more than God and hide your cruel injustice? At least He will know when chips are down, to expose all your mischief.

But perhaps I speak with presumption and need to bind my tongue. God uses others' mistakes to train in what I must know.

Perhaps your outrageous selfishness if God's way of turning me back to Him, and back to light, and through Him, I will see.

You are not my parent, Heavenly or otherwise, for we two both are children and if we can't know, we must trust "why."

So go ahead and oppress again. I will always have a choice. If you will not tell me why, to God I'll raise my voice.

For I remember, when I was young, if I did not comprehend "why," every answer eventually came, and I could claim them mine.

So even though God is called close-lipped by many who do not try, if He seeth fit to tell me, I can't condemn you for not saying "why."

No comments:

Post a Comment