Monday, March 9, 2015

Reminding Light: Moon and Sun

Psalms 22:1 - "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?"

I was out roving for my work yesterday, and I couldn't help but appreciate the moon as it rose over the landscape, peeking out from behind the mountains like an eager kitten wanting to play.

Alas, my camera's quality.
It is truly difficult to fully appreciate the moon when the lights of civilization are constantly fighting to drown it out. As I wandered, I couldn't help but feel a bit frustrated by mankind's need to shoo away the darkness as much as it does. Headlights, street lights, windows, parking lots, all were lit up in their own little spheres, keeping the moon from revealing its light completely.

But I saw it. And I couldn't help thinking about what a comfort the moon must have been way back in the beginning. When the earth turned away from the sun, casting the landscape into greater darkness, the Lord provided a lesser light to still provide a constant visual.

Of course, there is always a lesson in all things. The importance of the moon is only further illustrated by the fact that the light it offers is bounced off the sun in the first place. So, even when darkness surrounded our early progenitors, the sun still provided them a light. And yes, I know how phases work. Every month, the moon would lose its vibrancy and eventually disappear altogether.

Again, this was a reminder. In the same way, we need and can be benefited by the Son at all times. The absence of the moon is a brilliant way to remind each of us what we're missing when we don't have the Son in our lives.

So, I appreciated the moon for reminding me how much I need both sun and Son. It seemed even more beautiful that way.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, this reminds me of a passage in Isaiah that once really confused me! I had to do a search to find it again, to see if I was remembering it right. We're told in Matthew to let our lights shine, so it I did a double take when I read in Isaiah "... all ye tht kindle a fire, that compass yourselves with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.”
    When I reread the passage I found the key to understanding in the previous verse, where we learn that this is addressed to those that "walketh in darkness, and hath no light," who are therefore invited to trust in the Lord. The implication, therefore, is that these people will find sorrow because they instead looked to their own light, rather than to the Lord’s. (See Isaiah 50:10-11.)
    Your observations are so true, that mankind's artificial light can have the effect of blinding us to the natural light of the sun, as reflected by the moon. It's not that our lights are more powerful, but that in our limited perspective, they are more PRESENT. [Position yourself halfway between moon and city lights, and which would be more illuminating?] So we walk in the light of our own making, thinking that we do not need further illumination, but we are only blinding ourselves the greater light... of the sun (or the Son, as you so clearly point out.) It is only through the Son of God, who is the source of all light, that we can see clearly. Thanks for the reminder to seek his light rather than relying on my own, limited and very dim substitute for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This is awesome! You should write a blog post for me some time! :)

      Delete