Friday, March 27, 2015

Not Far Behind: ASL Club

Doctrine and Covenants 101.65 - "... when I shall come in the kingdom of my Father to reward every man according as his work shall be ..."

I went to ASL club this past Wednesday as part of my class work. The presidency in charge of the club explained to us that we would be playing a game. The contest began when the person in charge gave the club at large a hand shape. The object of the game was to toss a ball to the various members of a smaller group. Each time someone caught the ball, they had to present a previously unsigned word with that beginning hand shape in mind. Eventually, someone would turn out the lights, and whoever still had the ball in hand was out of the game.

I sometimes struggle in learning ASL. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who didn't 'get' something, and there are many aspects of the language in which I still feel inadequate even for my level.


As I participated in the club, however, I quickly discovered I am not as far behind everyone else as I thought. To begin with, I was one of about half of the people in our group who understood the instructions straight from the presidency, and had the opportunity to try and explain. I was able to remain in the game the entire time, even as I noticed some of my fellow students struggling with the same things I do.

Perhaps sitting in the front of class keeps me from fully comprehending my fellows' confusion, but one thing is for sure.

Sometimes, we feel like we're so far behind everyone else, that they're more prepared than us, that they're more capable of trials than us. It's hard to really know how we're doing in comparison to everyone else. I promise you that you're not trailing as far as you think. God gives us the strength to push and overcome anything, and I know for certain that, so long as we're putting in that sincere effort, we'll be fine in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment