Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Follow the Prophet: FHE Smurf Night

I was having a pretty rough day yesterday, at least internally. My mind was a cloud of dark and scary thoughts, and with no conclusion to the storm in sight, I struggled to refrain from following the same threads over and over again, seeking for some fact or detail I wished I missed.

As it was, when the early evening struck Provo, my schedule was all out of whack. I had a lot of assignments and projects and responsibilities I still had yet to complete. 

And Family Home Evening was smack-dab in the way of everything.

I chewed on that question for a while. To go, or not to go? That was the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of time constraints, or to take arms against a sea of my family home evening group members and by opposing diss them. To rise, to keep--no more--and by keeping to say I end the hour's break, and the thousand important things that I need to do. 'Tis a ...
Oh, shut up, internal Shakespeare, I thought. 

Rising, I braved the cold weather and arrived at the appointed meeting time.


To my surprise, a lot of my distracting thoughts and conflicted feelings evaporated as I participated in the good-old-fashioned fun a game of 'Smurf' can offer. Not only did I begin to feel much more relaxed, I recharged an extra reserve of strength from which I could more eagerly tackle the remaining tasks at hand.

I know holding a weekly Family Home Evening is counsel directly from the mouth of modern-day prophets. I saw yet another blessing of following the prophet today. To them I say, thank you.

Family Home Evening: Counsel and a Promise by The First Presidency of 1915 - "If the Saints obey this counsel, we promise that great blessings will result ... Faith will be developed ... and they will gain power to combat the evil influences and temptations which beset them."

No comments:

Post a Comment